The SamKnows Whitebox is an industry-approved measuring device, designed to measure performance of your broadband connection. It has been developed to enable you to accurately measure the performance of your ISP.
Please pay close attention to the points below, as these may affect your eligibility to participate in the study:
The requirements we ask our volunteers to meet are as follows:
- You have a fixed line broadband Internet connection to your residence.
- You use a standalone device to connect to your broadband service – i.e not a USB ADSL modem.
- You have a stable broadband connection (i.e. it doesn’t disconnect frequently). Note that this is just referring to the connection – not the speed.
- You are not a heavy downloader. Our tests can only run when your line is below a certain traffic threshold, therefore we would not be able to run any tests if your line is in constant use.
- You have a spare power socket near your existing router (or wherever you plan to connect the unit. Keep in mind that a network cable must run between the unit and your router though! We supply a 1m cable).
- You need to be on one of the 13 major ISPs that we’re measuring.
- You are not an employee or a family member of an employee of one of the ISPs being monitored.
In addition to the above we ask that volunteers agree to a set of terms and conditions that are broadly summarised by the points below:
- Not to unplug the unit or your ISP’s router unless you are away for an extended period of time.
- Not to attempt to reverse engineer or alter the unit.
- To notify Samknows if and when you choose to change ISPs.
- To return the unit to Samknows should you no longer wish to be involved (Samknows to pay reasonable postage costs).
- To connect the unit in the way described in the documentation.
- To keep Samknows updated with valid contact details (i.e. email and postal address).